Playing with Paint! Stamp Pad Palettes
In this quick lesson, I'm going to show you how to make a stamp pad palette. This is a wonderful way to make paint accessible, while limiting paint waste and paint messes. There are SO many ways to use these, my next few videos will explore some of those. The palettes only last for a short time, so make one when you are ready to get right into painting. I will follow this post with several ideas for using this material. And I also encourage you to experiment!
You will need:
* a plate you can get paint on (I'm using plastic. You may use whatever you have that you don't mind getting paint on)
* white paper towel or cotton rag
* spray bottle with water (or a wet sponge)
* liquid paints. I'm using liquid watercolor for this demo. Watered down acrylics work well too (add warm water to your acrylics to water them down, you can experiment with amounts of water to paint that best suit your project)
Prepare your space:
* cover your work area
* lay out your materials
* keep drinking water nearby
* have some paper nearby to paint on - lessons for using the palette will follow shortly. You may want to experiment with the palette. If you'd prefer to wait for a guided lesson to get started, gather your materials but wait to make this until the next video lesson is posted!
* music? light? whatever makes it your ideal creative workspace, do that!
* we will make a stamp pad palette that will need to be used within the hour
* place your liquid paints within reach
* plate down in front of you, lay your rag or paper towel on it
* spritz the towel until it is wet, but not dripping (if you are using a wet sponge, dab at the towel with the wet sponge until it is wet but not dripping)
* squeeze a small amount of paint onto your wet towel. You can add more paint as you go, as needed.
* when you have finished using your palette, you can either toss the paper towel, wash the cotton rag, or (my favorite option) save the paper towel to use in collages.
* wipe or rinse your plate
* put away all your supplies
used stamp pad palette paper - dried and saved to be used for collage later!
* try different kinds of paints with varying amounts of water
* play with what colors you use. for the demo, I did a color wheel. try a warm colors palette, cool colors, complementary ... play with it!
Have Fun! Be kind to yourself and each other.