Balloon Fiesta: Hanging Paper Arts Version
Today we're going to make paper hot air balloons!
You will need:
* a variety of papers (papers you've done paint or crayon marking on work great! or use color papers, phone book or mailer pages, decorate some papers right now! - use whatever you have, whatever inspires you)
* some paper for making a template, or print my template if you prefer
* pencil with eraser (or any marker or pen)
* glue stick (or whatever glue you have)
* hot air balloon and basket template (optional)
* hole punch (optional)
* sharpie (optional)
* collection of quotes, inspirational words or images (optional)
* here's a template for a small hot air balloon. use it if you like, and I encourage you to play around with making your own!
Prepare your space:
* cover your work area
* lay out your tools and materials so you can easily reach them
* keep drinking water nearby
* music? light? whatever makes it your ideal creative workspace, do that!
* cut four identical balloon shapes, and one basket shape
* fold all four balloons in half, color or text side in
* fold your basket piece in half, color or text side out
* cut a piece of string and fold it in half (I did 36" - you can figure out what works best for you)
* lay your first balloon piece down, still folded, put glue on the half facing up. place the next balloon piece directly on top of that and hold flat for 10 seconds or so. Repeat til you've used all the balloon pieces
* lay the balloon flat-ish by opening the folded sections like a book
* fold your string in half and tie a knot in it
* lay the string down the middle of the balloon, with the knot at the top
* open the bottom loop of the string, put glue on the inside of the paper basket piece, and close it around the string loop. Adjust the string so the basket dangles from the balloon where you'd like it to be
* put glue on the remaining two sides of the balloon, close it around the string and hold flat for 10 seconds.
* do a single layer balloon, write a message or draw a doodle on it!
* make a two sided balloon, put an led light inside to create your own balloon glow
* add text to your piece
* try using more or fewer pieces in your paper balloon
* learn about the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta here
* learn about the Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum here
Have Fun! Be kind to yourself and each other.